A Week in Lent

Lenten season has just passed and we are once back to an ordinary week. What is Lent you may ask? Lent is a Catholic liturgical season consisting of 40 days of fasting, prayer, and penitence beginning at Ash Wednesday and concluding at sundown on Holy Thursday. Here is a quick and brief throwback to what I observed during the Lenten Season as a non-catholic person.

Before we begin, here is a little background of the actual throwback you will find a little later. Growing up I have seen relatives of mine religiously participating in these particular time. As a kid I never really dug onto what they were doing and just minded my own business. Fast forward to when I was a bit older, I started paying attention to surroundings and that was when I was able to get insights on Lenten Season. Now the actual throwback starts. From what I observed, this is a season every religious catholic person takes very seriously. Fastings, prayers and penitence are very visible and around this time is also considered a time to get closer with Christ. Sacrifices are made to grow into a deeper relationship with Christ. Lenten season is truly an eventful happening and opportunity to grow close with Christ.


May I  sneak this in; though religions differ, it is also very important to respect differences on what they do and what their traditions are. Lenten season is one amazing event that takes place annually and hopefully this continues for more years to come as celebrating this event keeps the Philippines’ tradition alive and going.



Photo credit: PennLive.com 


Comments